Saturday, July 3, 2010


Went to our state's own little Bavaria for a run today. I was up at 6:30am, and so was Jason. We drove together, and went to late registration. They told us there weren't enough shirts and to check back later and maybe they'd have an extra from people that didn't show. Then we went to where the pancake breakfast was and that wasn't included.

Immediately we got all huffy about the race. A whole lot of "Why the Q*Bert are we paying $35 for a 5K and not getting a shirt or breakfast or beer or anything? This is the worst race ever." After I got my pancakes I was a little calmer, and $40 down in this race so far with nothing to show for it.

Once it started it got clogged really quick. I felt good and didn't run slow like Flushing or that curs-ed YMCA Re-tread that we now hate so much because of our bad times at it. The only problem was all the slow people that were staying 5 wide and getting in the way and slowing me down. I swear that alone added a minute to my time. It was really frustrating. I couldn't keep a pace. I would get bogged down by them and then get pissed about it and pass them going way too damn fast and would temporarily screw up my breathing and pace.

I really hate the moms with their baby carriages that sign up for the run, go 1/2 mile, and stop to walk side by side yacking away the entire time. They're the worst for destroying your progress. I'm not fast enough to be in front and get ahead of all those horrible people, because there are good runners up there that I would just get in the way of, but they don't have any consideration being that far up at the start and then proceeding to walk. You can't run in the walk, and I think you shouldn't be able to walk in the run. It's not the point of the event. I just don't understand how any of these people can't realize that they're getting in the way. I can sense someone behind me even with the headphones on, they should be able to move over, but they probably don't care.

It's not that I'm competing for a win, but I want to at least have a fair shot at knowing whether I'm getting better or not. Oh well, there will be other days.

After the race, we each grabbed a Hofbrau, and went home. Jason had to work, and I went immediately to a cook-out, and then to Auto City for some car, trailer, and bus races. I've been up since 6:30am and now it's 1:00am. I'm completely blown for the night, and I'm going to sleep like a baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Locations of visitors to this page