Saturday, March 15, 2014

Bringing things up to speed...

So I've covered the two previous big races of the year, and what happened there.  Now it's time to get into the nitty gritty about what's going on with me this year, the plans, goals, etc.

Last year, I think I mentioned there was a little flux with me and the job.  You know, with it completely going away at the end of the year.  Well, that did happen, and, for about a month, I was temping with my same company in Lansing, trying to help them with some transitioning.  With this rough winter, that was torture for me.  The drive on a good day was about 1 hr 15 mins, and on a bad day could easily turn into 2+ hours.  That wouldn't have been so incredibly horrible if there wasn't a 6am start time. 

Eventually that fizzled out to the point where they didn't need me anymore, but I did end up staying with them and taking another chemical treatment system job that's only about 45 minutes away from home.  I'm not sure how this is going to work out for me.  We'll see.  It's the same pay, but very boring and mentally unchallenging.  I'm not sure if it's really what I want to stick with long term.  I'm sure I could get a lot of reading done, but I miss being on the environmental side of things.  I'm also not sure about the culture here.  I'm definitely on the outs when it comes to that.  I'd say more, but who knows who's reading this.  Anyway, I'm okay with things for now.

I've started making a few changes to the regimen this year.  Last year I added some weights and strength training.  This year, I've added on some yoga, and I've really been sticking to things.  Other than being sick for a week, I've not missed a single scheduled workout yet.  Also, after a huge winter relapse, I've been fixing up the diet again, and I think I'm on a really good track to live up to "actually training." 

As far as the running plans this year, I really don't have a lot of set goals.  Blame it on having a hangover from last year's uncertainty, but I really am not sure what I should be pushing for.  I'm honestly still a little sad that, with the uncertainty, I didn't pull the trigger on signing up for Bayshore (Traverse City) in June (which sells out immediately in December every year).  One thing I do know, is I will be attempting some sort of out of state marathon this year.  Even if it's somewhere not all that far away (Chicago?).  I don't know about doing Detroit again.  That will depend on how I feel about it when the date gets closer.  I'd like to do it, but, unlike some people, I can't imagine doing Chicago/Detroit on back to back weekends.  That's just too much ouch.

Speaking of ouch.  I ran my first full-on sprinting (for me) 5K last month.  I ran the Crim's 1st Annual  "Run Your Ice Off."  It was a very small race of about 350 people.  The first 300 got a "Run Your Ice Off" winter hat.  I did not, because I registered way too late.  I could have picked up one of the leaders' hats when they tossed them off in the first mile, but I guess I didn't want it that bad.



"Run Your Ice Off" was really unique in a few ways.  First, this was the first race where the runners were supposed to be the ones singing the "Star-Spangled Banner."  Usually someone sings it for us, but that was kind of a cool nuance to the race.  I hope they make that a tradition.  Second, the race was the first in Flint to make good use of the Flint River Trail, which is one of the places I really enjoy running, biking, and walking.  Most of the route was along the river on the way out, then you crossed a road bridge, and came back on the other side of the river, still on the trail, through the University of Michigan-Flint campus. 

Sure there were some icy/wet patches, but it was cleared really well, considering the weather we had.  Besides, I've been running in junk a lot worse this winter.  I just wish I knew what my time was.  Apparently that got lost in the shuffle.  Even when I search by bib #, it goes from 354 to 356, skipping over me.  Oh well, what can you do?  It was still completely worth it, other than my muscles hurting for 3 days because I went all out and got well into the anaerobic zone.

Bad Post-Race shot


I'm sure I'll be in that zone this weekend as well.  I ended up signing up for the Irish Double at the Al Kayner St. Patrick's Day races tomorrow.  So I will be chasing my 8K with another 5K.  I'm not sure how that's going to go.  With the snow, I haven't been out to run much further than 6 total miles in a long time.  I know I can probably finish both with no issues, but I just don't want to be dragging ass in either.  You'll find out in my next post how that went.  Also, why don't they make knee-high St. Patrick's Day socks for men?



1 comment:

  1. I Know pro compression makes gender neutral st. patricks day socks!
    Anyhow, It's march and I've changed my goals for the year 3 different times :)

    ReplyDelete

Locations of visitors to this page