Sunday, July 8, 2012

Volksläufe is German for Cooked Alive

I knew this July 4th was going to be a tough one.  Nevertheless, I had signed up for the 20K, and I was going to do it.  I had a few choices to make beforehand though, given the heat:

-Pancake Breakfast - Yes or No
-Hydration Backpack - Yes or No
-Start Conservative - Yes or No

I went yes, no, yes.  I should have been a full on yes man. 

I started really slow, and for once allowed myself to run my own race.  I figured the sun and heat moving closer and closer to the 90s and above would cause a lot of people to fall apart, and I could slowly cruise on by.
I love that pig
When I hit the 12K mark, I thought myself a genius.  I was poised to start eating everyone alive.  I felt really in charge and ready to bust the rest of the race out.  At that point, I had no fatigue whatsoever.  The only problem was, shortly after that, I realized, despite double-fisting every water stop I was getting that not so hydrated feeling.  I made up about a 2 minute deficit and caught J, but after the next water stop, I turned backwards and ran right back to it to get 2 more waters on top of the gatorade and 2 waters I had.  I knew I needed fluids, and was trying to help make sure I didn't lose everything because of it.  However, by that point, I think it was probably too late.

I have you now......or not
Shortly after, about everything shut down on me.  As usual, I refused to stop running, but that invincible feeling I had just minutes before was gone.  I felt desperate, thirsty, and, until about another two miles, there wasn't a whole lot I could do about it.  For the heat that it was, two miles was too far without water for me.  I was leaking so much human coolant that I probably would have needed about a gallon of water to not be physically hindered in this race.  J pulled back ahead, and stayed in sight, but I never caught him, even though he had slowed considerably as well.

From that point on, I hit literally every water hose and sprinkler the neighborhood spectators had to offer me, and I thank all of Frankenmuth for the water.  I'm not sure I could have made it without the cool downs.  Also, I have to fess up to drinking some of it.  I know people are paranoid of drinking sprinkler and hose water these days, but I'm a lot more paranoid of turning into a melting glob of Crisco on the pavement. 

With barely enough energy to even finish the thing, I still made my way over to the opposite side of the street to high five Sparty before heading in for the last 2.5K.  From there I really tried to kick it in just to finish strong several times, but I didn't have it.  The sun had had it's way with me, and the human waterfall was out of flow.  I came in at a deplorable 2:13 (6 minutes slower than last year).  Sad thing was, I was happy with it, because I was just happy to be done. 

Hello Sir!
We skipped the $4 beer booth, and just went up to the Frankenmuth Brewery for a beer and some food.  Wednesday is $5 growler refill day there, anyway.  So a cup of beer for $4, or a 1/2 gallon for $5 wasn't really a hard call to make, being I prepared and brought Mr. Gluggy with me.
He is now empty again, a victim of "drink before it gets warm"
during our recent power outage


  1. That sounds miserable! I'm glad you survived to run another day and sorry to hear you also got caught up in the power outage. We lost power at work here in A2 but managed just fine at home. They can't all be PR's so don't stress, keep your eye on the bigger prize... Detroit!

  2. Wowza, that sounds pretty brutal...glad you survived it all...Heat is never really fun to run/race in!

  3. Dude, way to finish it! That is what counts. Also, I love that you crossed the street to high five sparty! Go Green! Thanks for stopping by my blog!

  4. It's too bad that the race conditions made it so difficult to run, but you hung in there and finished! I guarantee that your suffering will be rewarded at a later date, having gained that hot weather running experience. And you were able to eat at the end too. One of the first thing that happens to people who get dehydrated is that they get nauseous. Good job! You'll do better next year.

  5. Thanks for the support! Yeah I know Detroit is the prize right now, and I am just happy to survive a day like that. Ken, I probably would have hurled if I went to eat immediately. Though I didn't write it, there was a pretty substantial break after where I took in a ton of water while sitting in a shaded pavillion with my head down and a cold cloth on the back of my neck.

  6. But you didn't! That's the important part.


Locations of visitors to this page