Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Winterlaufe DNS

Well, it has finally happened.  I have my first "did not start" at the Winterlaufe this weekend.  Given a multiple choice question, with reasons why I didn't do one of my favorite winter runs, you'd probably have to assume something like:

A)  I overslept giving my corgi and lady the good cuddles on a lazy Saturday morning  (Incorrect)
B)  I finally managed to blow out some sort of tendon, ligament, or bone balancing a hippo's body on zebra legs.  (Incorrect...and, HEY!)
C)  Too many beers on Friday night (Incorrect)
D)  Food poisoning from all the crazy stupid things I seem to shove into my gullet.  (Incorrect)

It was none of those, or driving conditions, or laziness, or anything else you might expect from me.  Truth be told, I actually love all the Frankenmuth runs enough to not risk willy nilly missing any of them, especially on a year where they're actually giving people that do all 3 a special prize (why didn't you do it last year?...bastards).

I actually missed because I had to pay my respects to a wonderful lady named Dorlis who, after marrying my grandfather in 1989, has been our acting grandmother since.  My mother, brother, sister, and I went to see her last Sunday.  She had asked to see us and it was a sure thing that she was on her way out of this world.  She was awake and aware enough for us to speak to her, and say what we wanted to say.  She said she wasn't in any pain, though, with that generation, you never know.  They're so tough and unwilling to complain about anything, only she knows for sure if that was true.  On Wednesday, only a few hours after holding out for the remaining members of her family to be with her, she peacefully left this world.

Having her being a part of our family and be there to take care of my grandfather and see him to the ripe age of 87 has been a blessing.  It's actually hard to imagine she's gone for a lot of us.  Up until the past few weeks she has still been very vibrant.  She's fought off leukemia for many years, with a few blips in health, but has always bounced back with a vengeance.  Less than a year ago we were with her for her 90th birthday party, and she looked like she could have had another 5-10 in her.

However, some of our sadness is easily replaced with the consoling reminder of how much time she did have and the legacy she leaves behind.  She's had a long time on this world, and has seen and done almost everything you can do.  More importantly, she has left behind an infinite legacy of love, including 3 children, 3 step-children, 17 grandchildren, 26 great-grandchildren, and 3 great-great-grandchildren.  You can't ask for much more than that, and we know she will live on through, not only them, but the great many others she has touched throughout her life.

Goodbye for now, Grandma Dorlis.  We'll never forget you.
Dorlis's 90th Birthday
(...and this wss just the Conley-related side)

3 comments:

  1. I am so sorry for your great loss my friend! I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. It is so great that you were able to see her one more time and that she was such a blessing to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you get a pass on the DNS. I'm sorry to hear about your Grandma, but so glad to hear that you were able make the time to see her one last time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry to hear about the loss of dear Dorlis :( Running definitely comes second to family. Glad you were able to see her one last time.

    ReplyDelete

Locations of visitors to this page